The Institute of humanities, social and political sciences was established in June 2011. It united the former humanitarian faculty, the faculties of history, journalism, philosophy, sociology and political science. In September 2012 the department of regional studies and international relations also became part of the institute.
The department of history is the oldest in the institute – it was established in 1932 and lived through all reorganizations and restructurings of the Soviet and post-Soviet periods. Our historians study the circumstances of rivalry and cooperation between different peoples and states in the Arctic, they closely coordinate their research with Norwegian, Swedish, Finnish, American and German research centers and universities. Students of the department of history annually participate in national and regional conferences. Students from other departments are also active. For example, journalists cooperate with newspapers of NArFU and Arkhangelsk.
The humanitarian department was established in 1992 by Svetlana Koval who was head of the department till 2004. This department was the first one that began to implement a multi-level system of education even in those times when the establishment of European multi-level system of higher education in Russia was not even mentioned. The department trains bachelors and masters of education.
The institute consists of eight Departments:
- Department of Russian History;
- Department of World History;
- Department of Philosophy
- Department of Political and Social Sciences;
- Department of Humanities and Social Sciences;
- Department of Journalism ;
- Department of Cultural and Religious Studies;
- Department of regional studies and international affairs.
Moreover, there are two scientific and educational centers at the Institute:
- “Fundamental problems of Cooperation and Rivalry History in the Arctic” is a Research Team studying the acute problems of Scandinavian history.
- “Centre for Comparative Religious Studies and Ethnosemiotic”