Head of the Department: Elena Kokanova, Candidate of Philology, Associate Professor
Address: 7 Smolny Buyan Str., office 222
Tel.: +7 (8182) 21-61-00 (ext. 17-39)
Specialized Department of Automated Translation Technologies based at the Translation Agency “AKM-West” was established on September 24, 2018. The Department was founded in order to improve quality of professional training for translators through direct cooperation with the Translation Agency “AKM-West” (Moscow). Specialized Department of Automated Translation Technologies based at the Translation Agency “AKM-West” is the first specialized translation department in Russia. Representatives from the community of professional translators provide mentoring to the students. It helps significantly enhance the practice-oriented training of students. Best practices of the Specialized Department become the basis for scientific research on translation and translation didactics.
The Translation Agency “AKM-West” operates as a provider of linguistic services in a wide range of segments: infrastructure, energy, metalworking, legal services and consulting, financial sector, military-industrial complex, medicine, mechanical engineering, railway and road transport, construction, and much more. Many of these segments are extremely important for the Arctic region development, and this should be taken into account when training specialists at the university.
The Translation Agency pays great attention to the quality of training of translators, applying its advanced training methodologies and using specialized software. The Specialized Department of Automated Translation Technologies allows training translators and interpreters in a new way and providing students with the skills necessary in the field of translation and localization in the current labor market.
The Department participates in the implementation of the following training programs: bachelor's degree, 45.03.02 Linguistics, profile "Translation and Translation Studies"; master's degree, 45.04.02 Linguistics, master's program "Translation in Business Communications of the Euro-Arctic Region".
Collective research topics of the Department:
- Cutting edge technologies in translation (coordinators - Candidate of Philology, Associate Professor Elena Kokanova, Associate Professor Maxim Berendyaev)
- Neuro-linguistic research in translation (coordinator - Candidate of Philology, Associate Professor Elena Kokanova).
- Department of Cultural and Religious Studies
- Department of Regional Studies, International Relations and Political Sciences
- Translation Studies and Applied Linguistics Department
- Department of Journalism, Advertising and Public Relations
- Department of German and French Philology
- Department of English Philology, Nordic languages and Language Pedagogy
- World History Department
- Scientific and Educational Centre “Integrative Translation Studies in the Subarctic Region”
- International and Research Centers
- English Language Department
- Literature Department
- Russian History Department
- Philosophy and Sociology Department
- Social work and social security department
- Department of the russian language and elocution
- Specialized Department of Automated Translation Technologies based at the Translation Agency “AKM-West”