Type of course: Elective
Level of course: Intermediate
Year of study: fourth or fifth
Number of credits: 2
Name of lecturer: Lioudmila Vitalievna Anissimova , senior teacher at FLDpt
Prerequisits : Stylistics, Practical Course of English
General goal: to develop professional socio-cultural competence of future teachers of English
Having taken the course students should know:
- the stages and peculiarities of the literature development process in England
- the life and literary heritage of outstanding English writers
- the influence of the political and social background on the writers’ creative work
- the style and artistic characteristics of literary trends
- to estimate the artistic significance of a piece of literary work
- to speak on famous English writers and the corresponding historic period
- to express their own opinion about the pieces of literature in question
- further develop their reading and speaking skills
The course consists of 17 two-hour sessions of seminars.
1. The Middle Ages Literature ( 4 hours)
2. The Renaissance Literature ( 4 hours)
3. W. Shakespeare (6 hours)
4. English Literature during the Bourgeois Revolution (2 hours)
5. The Enlightment Literature (2 hours)
6. Critical Realism. Ch. Dickens, W.M. Thackeray (6 hours)
7. O. Wilde, G.B. Shaw (4 hours)
8. J.Galsworthy (6 yours)
Assessment Method - oral test.
One of the comedies:
“A Midsummer Night’s Dream”, “The Two Gentlemen of Verona”,
“The Comedy of Errors”, “The Taming of the Shrew”, “Much Ado about Nothing”,
“Twelfth Night”, “As You Like It”.
“Romeo and Juliet”, “Macbeth”, “Hamlet”, “Othello”, “King Lear”.
D. Defoe. ”Robinson Crusoe”.
J. Swift. “Gulliver’s Travels”.
Ch. Dickens. One of the novels: “Oliver Twist”, “Dombey and Son”, “David Copperfield”.
W. M. Thackeray. “ Vanity Fair”.
O. Wilde. “The Picture of Dorian Gray”.
G. B. Shaw. “Pygmalion”.
J. Galsworthy. “The Man of Property” or other novels of “The Forsyte Saga” and “A Modern Comedy”.