Type of course: Compulsory
Level of course: Intermediate
Year of study: II
Number of credits: 3
Course coordinator: Lyudmila Liginchenko
E-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Teaching language: English
Intermediate level of English; basic knowledge of British history.
In accordance with the University Course Syllabus of September 22, 2009, the students will:
obtain knowledge on various aspects of British culture
become familiar with current issues of contemporary British culture and society
be able to select and analyse texts searching for the necessary information
obtain experience in teamwork and group discussions
be able to develop a positive attitude to a foreign culture and people
The course will offer a general introduction to a number of topics on contemporary Britain:
State System and Local Government
Geography and Economy
Religion (past and present)
Immigration and Ethnic Composition of the British Society
British-Russian Relations (history)
- Baranovsky L., Kozikis D., PANORAMA OF GREAT BRITAIN. Minsk, 1990.
- Bromhead P., LIFE IN MODERN BRITAIN. Longman, 1993.
- Garwood Ch., etc. ASPECTS OF BRITAIN AND THE USA. Oxford, 1994.
- McDowall D., BRITAIN IN CLOSE-UP. Longman, 1996.
- Addis C., BRITAIN NOW. Book Оne. RELOD, 1994.
- Sheerin S., etc. SPOTLIGHT ON BRITAIN. Oxford, 1994.
- Hewitt K., UNDERSTANDING BRITAIN. Perspective Publications, 1994.
- Hewitt K., UNDERSTANDING BRITISH INSTITUTIONS. Perspective Publications, 1997.
- Nolasco R., Medgyes P., WHEN IN BRITAIN. Oxford, 1993.
- Golitsynsky Y., GREAT BRITAIN. S.-Petersburgh 2007
- Leonovich O., BRITISH STUDIES. Moscow, 2005.
- Pavlotsky V., DISCOVERING BRITAIN. S.-Petersburgh, 2000.
The course is based on lectures (16 hours), seminars and teamwork (16 hours). As parts of the syllabus will be covered by lectures alone, attendance is mandatory.
The students are evaluated based on their attendance, their language skills, as well as their knowledge of the topics covered by the course. In order to be able to get the required credit, the students will have to complete all the class assignments (reports, presentations, written tests) in a satisfactory manner.