Master program “Cultural dimension of the Arctic”
Master Program Overview
Code, Degree – 51.04.01 Cultural Studies
The title of the program Cultural Dimension of the Arctic (the program taught in English)
The director of the program Terebikhin Nikolay Mikhaylovich, , PhD of Philosophy, Professor of Northern (Arctic) Federal University, Director of the Center of Comparative Religious Studies and Ethnosemiotics, the Corresponding Member of the Russian Academy of Natural Sciences
The goal (mission) of the program is to provide extensive training of students in cultural studies of the Arctic, who will be qualified for design, analytical, consultative, research activity in the sphere of cultural dynamics of the Arctic region.
Prospective students should have a bachelor’s degree, have an interest in cultural studies of the Arctic and be focused on the professional development in the sphere of the Arctic researches.
Main orientations and specific features of the program
- All courses taught in English
- The program aims to provide students with an increased level of theoretical knowledge, research skills and practical skills necessary for critical understanding diverse phenomena of modern Arctic culture, transmission of cultural values and meanings in the conditions of the Arctic region.
- The program has an applied character. It includes the opportunity to acquire extensive practical skills in technologies of studying of social and cultural processes, cultural development of the Arctic region
The content of the program (Modules/courses)
The program is based on the model of scapes, according to which the Arctic is represented as a space of several cultural scapes constantly interacting with each other. The culture of the Arctic territories is seen through the prism of their ideological, media, socio-economic and technological development.
The modules of the master program:
- Mental map of the Arctic
- The Arctic as a special territory of heritage
- Ethno-cultural landscapes of the Arctic.
- Arctic ethnophilosophy
- Art development of the Arctic
- Reflections of the Arctic history and culture in modern visual art.
- The Arctic media landscape.
- Electronic memory of the Arctic – cultural communications of the Circumpolar world.
- Phenomenon of the Arctic technosphere
- Design for the extreme environment.
- Creative technologies and cultural innovations of the Arctic
- Image technologies, branding and rebranding of the Arctic and Subarctic territories.
- Ethnic features of contemporary motifs and images in the Arctic
- Ethnocultural self-identification of the Arctic indigenous peoples in the changing world: traditional values and modernization.
Module «Socio- and economic scape»
- Social, economic and ecological situation of the Arctic regions
- The role of the Arctic indigenous peoples in modern economy
- Arctic tourism. Tourism and recreational capacity in the Arctic region.
In the course of training students develop skills to work with different cultural objects and texts. The wide set of research seminars provide skills of individual and group research work, skills of design, expert and consultative activity in the sphere of culture.
Partner universities in the countries of the Barents Euro-Arctic region
Master program graduates can find a career in various cultural, social, educational and research fields. The program is tailored to produce best results in the following positions:
- Art Consultant
- Cultural Researcher
- Media Commentator
- Program Developer