The Institute of Civil Engineering and Architecture of NArFU was established in 2010 on the basis of the construction department of the Arkhangelsk State Technical University.
History of the faculty began in 1959. Rise of building activity in Arkhangelsk region fostered the development of construction and architecture specialty in education; the most important directions of scientific research were also formed in that time. The department of civil engineering and engineering structures was entrusted with organization of these activities. In the future the faculty established all basic departments: civil engineering, engineering structures and architecture and engineering geology of the foundations; these departments made a great contribution to training of highly qualified construction personnel.
During the period of intensive construction and development of the wetlands of Archangelsk the teachers and graduates of the institute contributed greatly to the creation of the new image of our town. Over the 50-year history of the faculty and institute about 5,000 engineers (masters, foremen, managers of construction companies, architects, surveyors and scientists) have been trained in here. These specialists work in different cities of Russia and abroad.
The institute currently comprises the following departments of the university:
- Department of Composite Materials and Environmental Engineering;
- Department of Engineering Constructions and Architecture;
- Department of Geotechnics;
- Department of Graphics;
- Department of Highways and Construction Operations;
- Department of Structural Mechanics and Strength of Materials.