Course unit title: Offshore Drilling
Course unit code: DC.2
Type of course unit: compulsory
Level of course unit: not specified
Year of study: fourth year
Number of ECTS credits: 2,5 ECTS
Mode of delivery: face to face
Prerequisites: learning Onshore Drilling
Recommended optional programme components: natural conditions of development of oil and gas fields
- Overview on activities of offshore drilling
- Introduction to techniques of offshore drilling
- Safety in offshore activities
- Drilling bits, drilling fluids, cementing operations
- Rig sizing and selection. From shore to offshore
- Directional drilling. Deepwater drilling
- Wellheads and Christmas trees
- Site and meteo-oceanic surveys
- Off-On shore shared drilling equipment
- Operations with semi-submersible rigs
- Operations with drill ships
- Drilling hazards
- Blowout prevention
- Deepwater operation
By the end of the course, students will:
- have knowledge about peculiarities in development and exploitation of oil and gas fields, offshore drilling rigs, its types and basic constructions;
- have competence in questions of implementation and modification within technological processes at every stage of building wells of various purpose and profiles along the well bore onshore and offshore;
- understand principles towards rational use of natural resources and environmental protection;
- be able to access risks and define measures for providing security in offshore process flows.
Recommended and required reading:
- Bernt S. Aadnoy. Modern Well Design. Rogaland University Center, Stavanger, Norway. 1999. 240 pp.
- Bernt S. Aadnoy. Mechanics of Drilling. SHAKER VERLAG. ISBN 3-8322-4861-7. University of Stavanger. 2006. 196 pp.
- Compendium “Introduction to Roller Cone and PDC Bits. Smith Bits 2006”. 106 pp.
- Compendium “Introduction to Offshore Drilling” University of Stavanger.
- «Laboratory Exercises in Oil Well Drilling Fluids 2010»/ English version by Jostens Kolnes” October 6 2009/ University of Stavanger.
- Адамянц П.П., Гусейнов Ч.С., Иванец В.К. Проектирование обустройства морских нефтегазовых месторождений – М.: ООО «ЦентрЛитНефтеГаз», 2005. – 496 с.
Planned learning activities and teaching methods: lectures and practicum
Assessment methods and criteria: credit points
Language of instruction: English
Work placement(s): unscheduled
Lecturer: Petr Tiranov, firstname.lastname@example.org