Course code: Б3. В.13
Type of course: Compulsory;
Level of course: Upper-Intermediate, Advanced, Proficiency;
Year of study: III, IV;
Semester/trimester: fall, spring;
Number of credits: 19
Name of lecturer: Anna Vostryakova, Ksenia Yartseva, Elena Belyaeva
E-mail address: email@example.com
Objectives of the course:
The students will be able to:
- Develop their daily life interrogative and discourse capabilities;
- Improve their language awareness to understand and use vocabulary common in everyday life;
- Improve their ability to express ideas clearly and confidently in English;
- Develop their grammatical accuracy, listening, reading and writing skills;
- Develop their command of academic language and build confidence to do academic courses in a colleague or university.
Prerequisites: Upper-Intermediate level of English
Course contents: The Course focuses on practical communication skills with the emphasis on speaking and listening. Reading and writing activities provide you with opportunities to interact with other students. Vocabulary, idioms and grammar are practised in interesting and stimulating ways to achieve fluency.
- Virginia Evans, Lynda Edwards. Upstream. Advanced. Express Publishing, 2003.
- Virginia Evans, Jerry Dooley. Upstream. Proficiency. Express Publishing, 2002.
- Stuart Redman. English Vocabulary in Use. Advanced. Cambridge University Press, 2000.
- Amosova M.A., Strelkova S. Yu., Chicherina N.V. Environment and society. – Arkhangelsk: The Pomor University Publishing House, 2004.
Teaching methods: Seminars, student presentations and tutoring in connection with practice teaching.
Assessment: Regular attendance and participation in class, completion of practical exercises, written tests and final exam.